Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Welcome To Visual Goodness

So when I last finished I was just starting my internship at Visual Goodness. I have been at visual goodness for four months now and I have done a lot of cool projects and met a lot of great people. Though the best of all I have learned a lot. The first thing I worked on when I started was a simple piece of wheat or so I thought was simple. Who knew wheat was so intricate or was going to be so scrutinized to the nth detail. The projects when I took it on sounded simple create, 3d wheat so that in can be composited in a web site for post. What made the project harder than what I initially that I had to do it in 3D Studio Max. Now at the School of Visuals Arts we are taught one main program and that is Maya we never came close to even touching 3DSMax. To say it was different was an understatement though I pulled through and with my basic knowledge of Max I managed to create a pretty good looking piece of wheat. You can see the final product here at http://www.postcereals.com/shreddedwheat/index.html.


After the Post Shredded Wheat project I called into Jayme’s (President of Visual Goodness) office in order to discuss the next project. I was told Steve and I were going to be creating a series of banners For Samsung advertising there new high resistant flash cards. Samsung wanted three banners in all showing the strength of their new flash cards. The first banner involved a Godzilla creature stepping on a flash card, the second had a bottle of champagne explode all over it, and lastly the client wanted to have a realistic fish land on a card. Steve assigned me the responsibility of Creating, Modeling and Texturing a realistic Rainbow Trout.


My job over the next few days was to find as much reference as humanly possible and then to start modeling of the fish. Luckily after the first project I had convinced the company to let me use their only copy of Maya telling them that my work would get done quicker. So I started off with the base mesh which got done surprisingly quickly. Then I threw the fish in to Zbrush to take it over the edge and make it as realistic as possible. The art direction on the piece was probably the hardest I have had in a long time I didn’t know at the time that Jayme was a fisherman and knew everything about Rainbow Trout so it was a hard sell. I learned the most on this project when I got to texturing. Now school didn’t teach us that much about texturing so it was a good thing to learn I figured out how to do the entire texturing pipeline with Max, Zbrush, and Photoshop. Things like combining displacement maps and normal maps are second nature to me now.


here are some other Projects I have been working on:



No comments:

Post a Comment